Science is not Disconnected to Life; it is Life

Life as we know it is filled with science. Eat food, put on clothes, brush your teeth or wash your face and you are experiencing the benefits of Science whether you understand it or not. Alternatively, suffer from the flu, shiver from the cold in your room, or experiment with drugs and you are experiencing the negative aspects of not understanding Science around you and the impact that it has on your life. An understanding of Science improves life. It can cause life. It can save a life. Science matters.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Actions Taken to Ensure Equal High Quality Science Instruction

The challenges I have faced in my efforts to improve the science program at my school and district include such things as not having a school district to impact. There is not much leeway that is given to a day to day substitute.
The school that I am at right now for long term subbing has been impacted by my doing what I can to fill out their science curriculum in kindergarten. They do not do much with it, but I try my best to get that in. I also send information on to the principal as I can. If I can send him links to grant possibilities, or events, contests, or anything of the like, I do. He has not done much with it so far though. He did copy a paper that I put in his mailbox and give it out to the various teachers that would benefit from it. I started a grant proposition from and electrical company. We could have gotten up to 10,000 dollars in funds, but then I would have had to write a big explanation of what I would do with the money and I won't even be there next year to fulfill it since I am a sub. That wouldn't have stopped me from passing it on to the right teacher except that the deadline is tomorrow and I do not have her contact information.

How have you overcome these obstacles? I haven't! I do not think that I can. I believe that I can wait it out until I do have the power and authority to make these advances. I have submitted to many applications that I want to create these types of changes but I need to be allowed the ability to do so and right now, I have none.

3 comments:

  1. Annamarie,
    Even though it appears to you that you may not be making a difference you are. Case in point, the information you are sending to the administrator is getting noticed and forwarded to teachers. You may consider sending these directly to the team leaders or teachers you know will take action on them. A past parent of mine began subbing at our school five years ago. She is phenomenal...like you. She decided to go back to school and she just earned her degree. Teachers absolutely rave about her, too. I know she will secure a position either with our school or one close-by next year.
    This may sound crazy to you; however, there are other avenues to make the advances you are considering. First, does your school have a School Advisory Council? You do not need to be a parent or faculty member to attend these meetings. I can tell you personally, as a SAC representative, we listen to our population because we know we do not have all the answers. Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annamarie,
    I would love to have a long term like you in my building. Most long term subs just come in and leave. They do not try to better the school. It is great that you are doing this. Even though you may not think the principal is paying attention, they probably are. Just think if there is a teaching position that opens at the school you would probably be a shoe in because the administration knows what you could do for the school.

    Overcoming obstacles is hard. Keep your head up you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jill and Kate, keeping doing what you are doing because it will help you in the long run. In my experience, administration likes grants written by teachers, and delegating duties to others. If you were a teacher at the school, their response would be to write for the grant and show you off to the school board. Jill is right about recommending that you get into the SAC meetings. Just think that when you get your class you will be aware of possible grants that will make your classroom a STEM zone. Like you I have forwarded studies, articles, and school-wide opportunities, but not always have been acknowledged. Until last year, when one of the VP came right from the classroom and new the importance of having a positive relationship with teachers.

    Again, continue to shine and remember in the long run you are making a difference in students' lives.

    ReplyDelete