Science is not Disconnected to Life; it is Life

Life as we know it is filled with science. Eat food, put on clothes, brush your teeth or wash your face and you are experiencing the benefits of Science whether you understand it or not. Alternatively, suffer from the flu, shiver from the cold in your room, or experiment with drugs and you are experiencing the negative aspects of not understanding Science around you and the impact that it has on your life. An understanding of Science improves life. It can cause life. It can save a life. Science matters.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

What Happens If the Polar Ice Melts?

When I did my iceberg experiment, nothing much happened. At first the ice stuck to the bottom of the bowl, so I could not efficiently fill it. When I dislodged the ice, it only slightly stuck out of the top, and it even moved soon after so that less was above the surface. I then filled the water to the very brim. After it had all melted, there was only surface tension, nothing seems to have went over the sides. So, although I contributed this to an ice cap example rather than an example of glacier melting, and although I believe my experiment to be an anomaly, so I want to repeat the experiment, I have to say that nothing much happened and I am wondering why. I was all prepared to see the water spill judging from the PBS show which I watched. So far it leads me to believe that nothing much happens if the polar ice melts. What was the results that you all had? Why did my bowl not overflow?

No comments:

Post a Comment